We’re one of the largest employers of mediators in Victoria and we deliver National Mediation Accredited Standards (NMAS) training and assessment.
Our 6-day course offers:
- a dynamic and safe learning environment for participants
- a combination of theory and interactive role-play activities
- opportunities to conduct both co-delivered and sole mediation
- individual coaching and feedback
- role play assessment on day 6 (included in course fee).
Our high trainer to learner ratio means you’ll have the best opportunity to develop the skills and knowledge needed to enter the mediation profession.
Our mediation training goes above and beyond the NMAS approval standards and on completion graduates can apply for NMAS mediator accreditation through a Recognised Mediator Accreditation Body (RMAB).
What you’ll learn
Over the 6 days of training you will learn to:
- recognise your own conflict resolution style
- develop successful communication strategies
- assist parties in their negotiations at mediation
- minimise conflict within your organisation
- conduct a mediation, in partnership with another mediator (co-mediation).
Specifically, you will learn about:
- the concept of mediation as an alternative dispute resolution option
- the nature of conflict and how conflict affects our daily activities
- how to implement various negotiating techniques
- ethical issues that may present to the practising mediator
- power imbalances in mediation – how to identify possible difficulties for particular groups and how to implement strategies to combat possible power imbalances in the mediation process.
Course pathways and careers
The skills and knowledge you gain from this course can be applied in a broad range of areas and could lead to a range of careers in government (local, state and federal) or the community sector.
This course is now a pre-requisite to enrol in the Graduate Diploma of Family Dispute Resolution.
Mediation training program structure
The course is delivered in 2 full day blocks (9am – 5pm) over 3 consecutive weeks, allowing you time to consolidate and practise your new skills between each learning block.
There are no formal pre-requisites. However, a certain degree of English proficiency, literacy and numeracy is assumed.
You’ll receive a certificate confirming satisfactory completion of an approved NMAS training course when you attend all 6 days and successfully complete the assessment.
For training and assessment under the NMAS you will:
- be observed in multiple role-plays over the 6 days
- submit written tasks (approx. 6 hours in total)
- perform a simulated mediation of at least 1.5 hours on the final day of the course.
Applying for mediator accreditation
To find out more about becoming accredited under the NMAS contact the Mediator Standards Board .
Cost of mediation training course
The full cost of the course, including the final assessment is $4,070.00 (GST inclusive)*.
*price as at February 2019
Book a course
12-13, 19-20, 26-27 November